Friday, September 08, 2006

Proud Parent

So Romeo stays at his girlfriends everyday, in her backyard, and they play crazy monster puggles together all day...sleeping...chasing eachother...basking in the sun...pretty much keep eachother company or you could also say keep Feile from digging. It has been a god send for me to have these wonderful friends to take our son over to everyday and greatest part is that when i pick him up at night he is exhausted. When they go out of town for weeks at a time we take care of her. That is how we pay them back. It works out nicely. We are ever so greatful. But not nearly as greatful as i was last night when i realized...my dog...can be trained.

I open the gate to grab him after work on my way home and Maggies shouts out the window that i must come in and see a new trick she had taught. She tells Brian to "hold her." And i am thinking why hold her? She is going to perform the new trick? Well, boy was i wrong. Maggie then starts ordering Romeo to "sit" and then it happened...the biggest grin from my face...ever! He gave the paw. This is the irish term for shake. So time after time, my dog shook Maggies hand and then was rewarded with a treat. At first i had to wonder...what on earth is she feeding him as treats? Crack, hot dogs, liver, steak? What did he love so much to actually do what you say? I just sat there in awwww. Speechless. Then i tried it. And...he even did it for me.

You see, when he was a baby...it was just us. Me and him. He was my main companion and so hey...i had to have some fun with the little guy. I tried all kinds of stuff with him. The only thing he really caught on to was sitting, laying down and rolling over. I did this for a while but then we got a little rusty with no practice. The thing he would never do....as much as i tried time and time again....was to shake aka give the paw. No matter what i tried it was something that he was just so damn stubborn about. I didn't get it. But, i finally gave up. Stopped trying. So when i see him perform this act last night...all i could do was lift my head high with pride and pretend as if i was the one that taught him to give the paw!


posted by Miahart @ 11:25 AM |

0 comments

<< Home