Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Engaged!

I have been meaning to update my blog with the most exciting new news in my life! James proposed to me this past weekend in Stillwater at the Oklahoma State homecoming football game in my grandfathers suite, in front of both of our families and good friends...on the jumbo-tron.

Let me first start out by explaining the fact that i was absolutely and utterly surprised to no end. I was shocked beyond comprehensable belief. When i retell the story it makes me remember the feeling i had inside me when that "Amy will you marry me?" I love you, James appeared on that screen. I think the first thing that i thought of was how on earth did he pull this off? And how on earth was this kept a secret. Everyone knew...for months...except my best friend(s) and sister(s). I use (s) b/c my best friend from college and my older sister were with us and neither of them had an ickling of a clue that this was going to occur. Nada, zilch, not a word! Which to me...makes it even that much cooler...b/c if they would have known...i would have sensed something odd...and i would have just been able to figure it out. That is the way i am. So he knows me well enough to know the importance of keeping it from the ones closest to me. Even the ones not there that day...had no idea.

So here the story goes...
Let me back up a step. James and i had organized a weekend in Oklahoma. His parents would drive in from Arkansas...all 8 of them...my mom, stepdad, big sister would fly in. My best friend from college, Allison and her husband would be joining us. We mananged to organize it so that every single person had a ticket. Mostly in the suite. Behind my back, James bought my dad and stepmom tickets in the stadium so they could be a part of it as well. So being that both our families were there still gave me no hint. I just figured since we were one state away from his family they should come join us as well. I hadn't been back to my alma mater since graduating so this was a special trip. A place i hold very very close to my heart. All the planning on my part to get this whole weekend organized was rough but somehow it seemed to just all work out. At first it was a controversey with where his family would stay the night. Stillwater sells out months and years in advance. No hotel vacancy for miles. They ended up reserving a few rooms an hour away. This would then cause more driving and less time spent. The week before we left my mom called to say that my grandfathers lodge was able to hold 10 more people. It all fell into place. We stayed in a huge, gigantic lodge on a beautiful golf course as a huge extended family. The transportation and the coordinating with friends to fit everything in all worked out as well. I remember that day thinking to myself...i can't believe we have made this trip happen with minimum obstacles. We even were able to meet up with my friend from college in Tulsa that morning before we left, so she could finally meet James...and we also got to sit outside which therefore allowed her precious pug, Pudge, to join us. It just worked. From the moment we landed.

So here goes the story...we spend the day in Stillwater...enjoying being with both our families...i showed them around the college town and took a walk down memory lane. As we were able to get the very first row parking, we showed our parents off to the game early so we could go mingle with friends, bars, and tailgaters. We even ran into my ex and his wife where introductions were many and akwardness was in the air. I managed to chug 2 whole beers before we went inside. I was not looking forward to this dry game. My sister and i went to the bathroom before we entered the suite. Game begins and everyone is happy, cheering, snacking and to my eyes all was just how i envisioned this day. Middle of the 1st quarter i look at my sister to go the bathroom with me...again. So i had just chugged two beers...what do you expect. When i recall back on it...i do remember James looking at me and saying..."you just went to the bathroom...do you really need to go again?" So we are in the bathroom and my mom runs in and says to us..."hurry, your gfather is getting ready to get an award...i want you to be there!" You have to understand this was a very common occurance so very much believable. We walk in and take our seats. James and i were sitting in the front row, our family and friends next to us, behind us, and around us. The window raises in front of us and i gasp as the cold ass winter air comes rushing towards my face. I remember thinking it was odd no one else seemed to mind. Then my mom steers my attention toward the screen...time for chickasaw word scramble. Whatever that is...apparently it is part of every game. So it comes up and falls on the screen saying Will you marry me? I remember saying out loud...awww someone is getting engaged.
And it was literally 5 seconds later my name falls on top of those words. I gasp and let out a "holy shit," yes my reaction is filmed as me saying those words! I literally am speechless. He gets on one knee and tells me he loves me and wants me to be his wife. I think he said something else but i don't remember. I just sat there and starred at him and then gave him a huge hug and tears came streaming down my face. He puts this gorgeous diamond ring on my finger that i knew nothing about. The announcer says..."so what did she say?" And it occured to me i hadn't even said yes! So i said yes and we both waved out the window! This was all followed by hugs and congrats and more hugs and cards and pictures. Much to my dismay...this was all filmed and luckily a professional photographer was snapping pics during the entire thing.

I was so in shock for about an hour or two. We went down to the stands to see my dad and stepmom. Freezing our asses off all with such elated energy. This is my engagement story and i know deep down in my heart that this is the most perfect and wonderful person i could ever imagine myself to be with. I feel lucky and blessed and excited!

I just want to enjoy this time being engaged. I don't even want to begin to plan this big extravaganza. The stress involved is sure to put a kink in my moods and my current state of happiness. So for now...don't ask me when the fuck the wedding is going to be b/c guess what...i don't know...and frankly...i am sort of not looking forward to all the planning envolved.

You are sure to be hearing me bitch, moan and cry about the upcoming events in our life!
posted by Miahart @ 11:07 AM |

5 comments

<< Home